A Rose of Jericho three hours after being watered having nearly returned to is previous alive state
The Rose of Jericho(Anastatica hierochuntica) is a species of resurrection plant. These plants are characterized by their ability to use Poikilohydric mechanisms which enable them to survive extreme dehydration for years at a time.
However it originated, though, the usage of “because-noun” (and of “because-adjective” and “because-gerund”) is one of those distinctly of-the-Internet, by-the-Internet movements of language. It conveys focus (linguist Gretchen McCulloch: “It means something like ‘I’m so busy being totally absorbed by X that I don’t need to explain further, and you should know about this because it’s a completely valid incredibly important thing to be doing’”). It conveys brevity (Carey: “It has a snappy, jocular feel, with a syntactic jolt that allows long explanations to be forgone” “It has a snappy, jocular feel, with a syntactic jolt that allows long explanations to be forgone”).
But it also conveys a certain universality. When I say, for example, “The talks broke down because politics,” I’m not just describing a circumstance. I’m also describing a category. I’m making grand and yet ironized claims, announcing a situation and commenting on that situation at the same time. I’m offering an explanation and rolling my eyes — and I’m able to do it with one little word. Because variety. Because Internet. Because language.
Reblogging. Because linguistics.
let me get this straight: unless you’ve hurt someone, you don’t have to apologise for yourself. Just because someone else would not have made the choices you do, or think your choice is bad for you, or in any way try to invalidate your own agency by making you feel like you have to apologise for your actions, does not mean they are right, and you should not listen to them, your choices are your own and if you do the best with what you have and try not to hurt others or yourself, then fuck what everyone else says
Oh Chemistree, oh chemistree,
How lovely are your beakers.
You wish your chem lab was as cool as mine.
This is the most cyberpunk thing I have ever seen.
Ten and Rose
"Ten and Rose"
most common thought: damn haha im going to have to deal with that sooner or later
Some random Les Amis Christmas headcanons:
- Marius eats his own body-weight in chocolate coins and ends up falling asleep, covered in bits of foil, on Cosette’s shoulder - this happens every year without fail
- Bossuet and Joly make their own Christmas crackers, and the jokes they come up with are always terrible (they end up snorting with laughter into each other’s shoulders while everyone else just groans)
- Jehan isn’t allowed to decorate the tree by himself again after that time he made his own ornaments out of glitter, ribbon, and real skulls, and freaked out pretty much everyone
- Courfeyrac insists that they do Christmas karaoke, which always ends up being at turns brilliant and hilarious. The hilarious is his and Bahorel’s annual duet, the most memorable of which are their version of “Baby it’s Cold Outside”, and that time they roped Joly and Bossuet into joining them so that they could do the Mean Girls “Jingle Bell Rock” dance (during which Bossuet did indeed accidentally kick the stereo at someone).The brilliant is Combeferre, who has a voice like caramel and could make anything sound amazing. And then there’s Grantaire, who doesn’t just sing, but also accompanies himself on the guitar - the first time he did this, Enjolras got so flustered that he left the room half-way through
- Combeferre, Cosette, and sometimes Grantaire, usually do most of the cooking - Feuilly always offers to help, and Cosette never lets him ("you were working Christmas Eve, go sit down and have a rest, you ridiculous man")
- One time Bahorel and Eponine got Enjolras drunk on really bad wine, resulting in him getting very emotional about “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and giving a half-sweet, half-embarrassing speech in which he told his friends how much he loved them all, and how glad he is that they’re nothing like all Santa’s other reindeer in the song. Then he tripped over the coffee table and landed in Grantaire’s lap, and that is why Enjolras has never been drunk since
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
- finding someone aesthetically pleasing
- being sexually attracted to someone
- being romantically attracted to someone
WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR SOME PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND
It boils down to this;
Finding someone sexually attractive: I want to have sex with you.
Finding someone romantically attractive: I want to date you.
Finding someone aesthetically pleasing: I want to draw you.
If it’s all three, you’re fucked.
Yes, that gets worse when he’s nervous or stressed.
*cracks knuckle* ohhh yess communication disorder HC: stuttering Marius
Marius with a childhood stutter that his grandfather insisted he would grow out of. Marius having co-morbid anxiety disorders and anxious behaviours because PWS are SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to have compromised mental health.
Marius with more blocks than repetitions and prolongations so people look at him funny when he just goes totally silent and sTARES at them but it’s because the words physically won’t come.
Marius worrying constantly that people think he’s stupid, because he wasn’t taught what stuttering meant and bought into all the discriminatory attitudes such as “stutterers are shy” “stutterers only repeat things”. Thinks he just can’t talk/ is stupid.
Marius having to gently explain to people that stuttering isn’t about confidence, it doesn’t mater how confident or comfortable he is, stuttering moments will still happen.
Combeferre explaining to Marius that stuttering isn’t just about behavour, nerves or trauma, but that research shows stuttering has a neurological basis- as in it’s influenced by a chemical imbalance.
Marius crying with relief.
Cosette going with Marius to speech therapy, Marius learning smooth speech and other techniques. Marius lOVING music because you don’t stutter when you sing
asdf;aslkjdfa;sldjfk I love this hc!!!